Our mission is to teach our students the information literacy skills necessary to access and evaluate information, to use it accurately, creatively, and ethically, to provide a wide variety of materials to support the curriculum, and to encourage a life-long love of reading.
- Circulating collection of approximately 9,600 books
- Media Center Homepage and online catalog for our collection at http://destiny.iusd.org/
- Online encyclopedia for IUSD is Encyclopedia Britannica http://school.eb.com/elementary
- If you will be using this at home make sure to get a user name and password from your teacher or librarian
- Reference collection of atlases, dictionaries and collective biographies.
- Information literacy instruction includes utilizing resources beyond the Media Center walls including the collections and databases of Orange County Public Library and Newport Beach Public Library. Students should have cards available for free for these libraries. Links to these libraries are on our media center homepage.
- Students have access to the Media Center when they come with their teacher during their scheduled time.
- Students in TK, Kindergarten and 1st grade may check out 1 book per week and students in 2nd grade may check out 2 books per week. Students in 3rd-6 th grades may check out 3 books that will challenge them in a two week period. Books may be renewed but the book must be presented to do so. Students with late books will not be allowed to continue checking out until their books are renewed or returned.
- Fines are collected for lost or damaged books.
- Volunteers are crucial to maintaining the circulation of books on a weekly basis. Volunteers are needed to shelve and process new books. Please consider being a Media Center Volunteer!
Rose Kido, Media Tech